We email a newsletter to all our supporters, like the one below, rounding up all the inequality-related news for the past month. If you want to get the latest inequality news quicker and sent direct to your inbox, just sign up to The Equality Trust newsletter here. Thank you.
The Ownership Charter: This month we launched our latest campaigning initiative in support of greater economic democracy. To embed greater equality in our society we need to put working people in control. Evidence shows that co-ops, employee-owned businesses, mutuals and social enterprises are more democratic and, therefore, have narrower pay differentials. They do not suffer the burden of ridiculous and unjust executive pay and bonuses of the sort that are often extracted from large, private sector companies. A more democratic economy is an essential counterpart to strong trade unions and more progressive taxation of income and wealth. We must attack inequality on all fronts. Please support the Ownership Charter and share it widely - thank you.
Local Groups & Activists’ Day 2018: On Saturday 14th July we also held our latest and biggest annual gathering of activists from our local groups network together with individual activists who are all working for a fairer, better society. Thank you to everyone who came along and made it such a successful day.
Sparking Hope: We were also honoured this month to join with the 100 global Sparks of Hope (recognised by the The Elders) in the #WalkTogether campaign for equality, fairness and democracy. And it is thanks to your support that The Equality Trust is recognised, globally, as a leading force for change as part of this campaign. Thank you.
And finally: Wanda was delighted to represent the Trust at this year’s Tolpuddle Festival. To be a part of the festival that marks where modern day trade unionism started was very special indeed.
Best wishes, Wanda, Jo, Rianna & Bill.
The Equality Trust Team
You can help support our work in various ways: ACT to tackle inequality where you live by joining or forming a local group. DONATE to help us do more, the generosity of our supporters sustains our work. AFFILIATE your organisation to our affiliate programme to work closely with us. FUNDRAISE for us to give us more secure, longer term income. FORWARD this bulletin to people you know who might be interested in our work.
BLOGS & COMMENT
Pick of the Month: Social Mobility Needs Greater Equality
- Local Groups & Activists’ Day (14 July 2018)
- Prof. Kate Pickett on The Inner Level (podcast)
- Monthly News from The Equality Trust (June 2018)
LOCAL GROUP NEWS: This month it was all about our highly successful Local Groups & Activists’ Day which you can read about here.
KEY DEVELOPMENTS AND REPORTS
Pick of the Month: End Hunger UK call for Universal Credit overhaul
- Third of UK children now live in poverty
- Earth ‘Overshoot Day’ is now 1st August
- Major study finds shocking UK deprivation
- OECD report shows top 1% pulling away
- JRF report highlights in-work poverty
- UCL report says education reforms creating inequality
INEQUALITY IN THE NEWS
Pick of the Month: Happy 70th Birthday to the NHS
- Social Supermarkets are tackling UK food poverty
- Mental health problems rising for under-19s
- Prison conditions squalid and dangerous
- Homeless people struggling in heatwave
- Universal credit driving rent arrears
- Latest British Social Attitudes survey a mixed bag…
- Minimum wage thieves revealed
- Food banks now normal part of society
- Fuel poverty targets set to be missed
- Water companies in the dock
BEST INEQUALITY READS AND LISTENS
Pick of the Month: Have we hit Peak Inequality?
- Should we cure criminals rather than punish them?
- The intolerable rise of perfectionism
- Homeless in Silicon Valley
- The depressing rise of India’s super-rich
- How to define a Citizens Income?
- The richest have a plan - it doesn’t include us…
- Health inequality and the Black Report (podcast)
- Inequality in Cambridge (documentary)
- Small union, big wins
- Extreme inequality creates global disorder
- The Case for a Maximum Wage
THANK YOU FOR YOUR ONGOING SUPPORT!