Books on Inequality
The most influential and talked-about book on society in the last decade. Kate Pickett and Richard Wilkinson's The Spirit Level not only changed the way we understand and view inequality, it inspired the creation of The Equality Trust and our work.
Why do we mistrust people more in the UK than in Japan? Why do Americans have higher rates of teenage pregnancy than the French? What makes the Swedish thinner than the Australians? The answer: inequality.
"In Capital in the Twenty-First Century, Thomas Piketty analyzes a unique collection of data from twenty countries, ranging as far back as the eighteenth century, to uncover key economic and social patterns. His findings will transform debate and set the agenda for the next generation of thought about wealth and inequality. Piketty shows that modern economic growth and the diffusion of knowledge have allowed us to avoid inequalities on the apocalyptic scale predicted by Karl Marx"
"The global economic crisis of 2008-2009 seemed a crisis of the system's underlying political ideology and economic theory. Perhaps the correct response to the crisis is simply careful management of the macroeconomic challenges as we recover. Here, Turner offers a counter-argument to this somewhat complacent view."
"In this urgent polemic, Guardian journalists Polly Toynbee and David Walker meet people from across the earning spectrum and discover just how greedy, dysfunctional and unfair Britain has become. They shred the myth that top executives require astronomical salaries, and ask if the recent media focus on pay has changed attitudes enough."
"A forceful argument against America's vicious circle of growing inequality by the Nobel Prize-winning economist."
"A sharp and enganging political analysis of how democracy is being replaced by oligarchy"
"Leading geographer Danny Dorling goes in pursuit of the latest research into how the lives and ideas of the 1% impact on the remaining 99%; and the findings are shocking."
"An engrossing book showing that economic equality is an essential driver for growth"
"An incisive look at how our society has fragmented into inequality and how to address this most crucial blight on our times"
"In the aftermath of the global financial crisis, a scandal-ridden business world, and a deeply unstable business environment, trust in businesses and business leaders is at an all time low. The Reconnected Leader evaluates the current situation and sets out an eight-step model to implementing new practices that help leaders reconnect with their teams and reset the relationship the business has with all its stakeholders"